Tuesday, October 07, 2014

The Day EVERYTHING Changed in my Classroom

\



Teach Thought Blogging Challenge #29 How have you changed as an educator.


I feel like this prompt could easily turn into a memoir. My whole career is a trail of change. I have always called myself a change agent and I could right chapters about each change and how it has changed me.


“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change -”. ― Heraclitus. 


So I'm going to select ONE of many ways I have changed as an educator and identify the the one event that was the catalyst to that change -



THE SUMMER THAT ACCESS TO THE INTERNET BECAME A LOCAL PHONE CALL!


  • That fall I stopped being the person who decided what my students would learn, carefully planned the curriculum and designed each lesson. 


  • That fall, my students came back to school filled with ideas about what they wanted to know about because it had been a summer of inquiry for them. 


  • That fall, I put most everything I had planned aside and followed their passions and saw the most wonderful learning happen in my classroom. 


I say I put MOST everything aside - because I still had a "invisible hand" in what we learned. I knew what I wanted them to learn, but I also knew that I would be able to engage them in ways previously unimaginable. My classroom would never be the same again.


No comments: